God's world in our hands
We believe that God has given us responsibility for our world - which we should take seriously.
Our whole church is encouraged to be involved; whatever we can do helps us care for God's planet,
and God's people everywhere.
We are taking action by bringing our lives into line with God's way of thinking. We need to examine and make changes to every aspect of our lives. We aim to cut our energy use, waste and carbon emissions. We have been officially recognised as an Eco-congregation - being environmentally aware and taking action to reduce our impact on the planet.
Our Solar Panels are the outward sign of our action. In two years they've saved about a tonne of CO2. They produce electricity on average for over 11 hours a day!
Here are some examples of our church's actions:
- Move to a green energy supplier and reduce energy use
- Worship, 24-hour prayer and Junior Church studies on environmental themes
- Regular 'Green Living' articles in The Message (our church magazine).
- Church members involved in Justice and Climate movements
- Recycling (of course!)
- Traidcraft fair-trade stall after Sunday worship
- Church members & the Minister cycling more (the Minister racked up over 1,000 miles!)
More important, though, are our members' own personal action and pledges, such as - grow fruit and veg,
only buy as much food as I need, buy local produce from local shops, use the car less and walk more.
Eco-congregation is also about going forward, and our suggestions for the future are to act on our 'carbon footprint', encourage car sharing and make our garden more wildlife friendly.